Sunday, August 8, 2010

Commitment and Planning...

As I was walking tonight, I got to thinking about commitment when it comes to losing weight.

The first time I did this challenge I was 100% committed to losing weight. The shock of the scale was enough to kick me in the ass to get a jump start. I also began thinking of my kids and how they deserved to have a mom who could keep up with them when we were playing soccer in the yard or even playing on the swing set. These two things were what kept me going on my journey. I just kept thinking...I can't let them down.

Some where on the journey though I added myself to the list of why I wanted to lose weight. I know again, it sounds cliche', but it really is the truth. As a mom, I usually put my own needs on the back burner and did what needed to be done for the kids or the family. I found myself with little to no "me" time on any given day, as I am sure most moms feel. And I can tell you this, the time that I did get for me, exercise was not high on my list of things to do.

I don't know exactly what changed this. I might have just come to my senses and realized the weight wasn't going to come off by itself. And the only time I had to exercise was during my "me" time. I also figured I gave an hour (at least) to watching television 2-4 times a week. I could commit to exercising for that long too.

When I first started, the only thing I needed to motivate myself to exercise was putting on my gym shoes and grabbing either my watch or pedometer. Again, I don't really know why this was enough, but it was. I was/am a stay at home mom and found it much easier to get my walks in before the kids got home. I planned when I would walk into my day, .

Planning was crucial for me. If I didn't wake up with a plan for the day, those were/are the days I found/find myself dreading the workout the most.

So, I've been asked (on more than one occasion)..."Holly you have 4 kids, how on Earth do you get exercising in?" Again it comes back to having a plan. Since starting this second challenge I have had to work around all 4 kids being home. It has made it a little tougher, but still very much do able. It just took planning!

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I do pretty much all of my walking up and down my own drive way. Yes, it gets boring going back and forth (23 times equals 1 mile), but I found I can do it whenever I wanted without worrying about who was going to watch the kids. I can go outside and walk and feel comfortable with them in the house by themselves. And really, is it any different than walking on a treadmill?...besides having to spend hundreds of dollars on one, doubt it!

Would I have been able to do it this way when they were younger? More than likely, no. My kids are 11, 8, 6, and 3 and most of the time my 3 and 6 year old are outside with me playing while I am walking, so it works out even more perfect for me.

I guess my point in this entry is, you have to commit your mind to losing weight as much as you commit your body. Think about why you want to lose weight and then plan how you are going to get there. I feel like losing weight is like any other detail in my life. Having a plan works for everything else and my weight loss journey is no exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment